Subject: Re: text viewer patch, RAM & battery life

Re: text viewer patch, RAM & battery life

From: Jean Boullier <jean.boullier_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 04:07:25 +0200

Garrett Derner wrote:

>Now my question is, how much DRAM can I use, without hogging it from other
>needs? 70kb? 300kb? Currently when I compile I don't get the out-of-DRAM
>error until about 1.7MB.

10 kB seems to be a nicely reasonable minimum for me : I do not think of
the Jukebox as a convenient mean of reading big texts anyway. With 10 kB
you can load the equivalent of 100 full 100-char lines, i.e. many more
lines for a conventional text file. That should give a good flexibility
to the viewer without seriously affecting the music player's
performance. Which is fine for me since your viewer and music playing
work so well together.

If other users can think of uses which would benefit from a much larger
buffer size (say more than 50 kB) then you would probably have to make
it a new setting to satisfy everybody, no ?

Jean B.