Subject: Re: Charging/battery patch (was Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM)

Re: Charging/battery patch (was Re: BATTERY-FAQ and the FM)

From: Magnus Holmgren <lear_at_algonet.se>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:19:06 +0200

Mike Holden wrote:

>>Is there any place in the debug menus I can look for this?
>

> On the FM, it's the ADC_EXT_POWER value, which is AN7 in the View IO Ports
> screen. AN0 shows 3FF when not plugged, and hovers around zero when
> charger is plugged in. AN0 is used to detect charger plugged or not, and I
> use AN7 to check whether charging is active or not. Basically, have a look
> to see if any values seem to go up and down with the charger being plugged
> in and out, and also vary during the charging cycle.

Only AN6 (ADC_UNREG_POWER) changes when the charger is plugged (besides
PADR, which is used to detect the charger), which already is used to
read the voltage level.

> What's the reason we can't use the same icon? Is the char "hardcoded" in
> the screen LCD map? Is the status line different from the other lines in
> some way? If we need to create a specific character for this, I would need
> to call upon the "artistic geniuses" of the list for assistance, as I'm a
> programmer, not a graphic designer! Do we have any space characters in the
> character set? Is a short text looking like the better option for this
> (e.g. "Batt:")

Yes, the icon is hardcoded; the entire status line is (play/pause,
repeat, single and volume). Below that is two lines of characters (hence
the name of the define HAVE_LCD_CHARCELL). 4-8 characters (depending on
player model) can be used for custom characters and Rockbox uses them
for progress bars and characters the LCD doesn't support by default.

> To avoid confusion with the clock, I was going to make the time display
> have an "h" character in place of the ":", so it will look like 10h15.

The player doesn't have a clock, so that wouldn't be a problem there. :)

--
Magnus Holmgren