Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: Reflashing

Re: Reflashing

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 08:48:39 +0100

>Ah, I forgot:
>
> > > (1) Could the current check routine be wrong ...Maybe I have a
> > > reprogrammable chip that is not identified correctly?
> >
> > I'm afraid, no.
>
>Well, the ultimate method is to open it up and have a look. The "bad" chip
>is a SST37VF020.

I would favour NOT to open my unit unless I know I stand to gain, as it is
still under "warrenty" <sic> ...maybe I can find a way to query the device
in-situ?

> > It can be replaced, with SMD soldering skills and the correct part at
> > hand.
>
>If you have it in, you'll need the UART boot mod (and the serial mod) to
>flash it. The box certainly won't start with a blank chip, but with the above
>the trick is possible.
>
>Or you need to pre-program the chip outside with professional gear.

Flashing it is no problem, I have a USB chip programmer on my desk ...the
real problem is that my soldering skills are weak ...soldering a SMD is
_way_ beyond me :(

I will try to source some replacements parts. The part is available as
TSOP, PLCC and BGA ..I'm guessing that it's not BGA or we're all in
trouble, can you confirm if it is PLCC or TSOP please.

The other option is to try and find a similar device that is
pin-compatible!? ...there must be one somewhere.

Thanks for your help,

BC