Subject: Having Trouble with Recoding and the resulting file-length

Having Trouble with Recoding and the resulting file-length

From: foswald <foswald_at_gmx.at>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 13:24:52 +0200

Hi there!

Yesterday I recorded a music-cassette from my home-stereo via Line In. I
used Mono and only 16kHz since it is just a recorded interview on the
cassette.
After I've recorded the two sides of the cassette, with worked properly,
I listend to the result. The quality was good (as good as ot ca be off a
cassette), but I recognized that the time-length of the mp3-file was
wrong. When I skipped to the end onf that 30 minute-file, I found
rockbox indicating that the file was finished (at its end) but it was
still playing. So I did this VBRfix-stuff (I don't know what it's for),
but then the its time-length shifted form 0:31 min to abut 31:22 min. So
I thought this problem was solved. I then put the file onto my PC and
listened is with WinAmp. And again the time-length shown in WinAmp
doesn't match the real time-length, with I proofed by skipping to the
end and the file was actually longer than it seemed to be.
I tried now to make a music-CD out of that two files (side A and B), but
when nero came to write the end of the first file, it gave a
file-reading-error. I then simulated the burning-process and there was
the same error again.

So my question: Is it possible that rockbox has problems in qalculating
the real length of a recorded sound-file?
And: WHAT DO I DO AGAINST IT?

Greetings
banGser

Btw: I do have a JB FM recorder with I upgraded with a 60GB-HD.
I used rockbox20030703