Subject: Re: Hi! ... different charger

Re: Hi! ... different charger

From: Michael O'Quinn <michael_at_oquinn.info>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:10:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Joris van den Heuvel wrote:

> | True, but the 1000mA charger would be better.
> |

> >From the battery FAQ I understand the batteries are charged with a maximum
> of 350 mA. A bigger power supply will not change that. Or am I wrong and is
> this only valid for the player?

I base this on past experience. (I'm an electronics tech.) Those wall
warts tend to be kind of cager with their specs. Often the voltage
regulation is poor. Using a power supply that supplies more current than
necessary is not a problem, the excess capacity will simply go unused.
(Notice this applies to CURRENT, not VOLTAGE!) I've seen wall warts that
deliver 2 or 3 volts below their rating when at their rated current.

I personally damaged an Archos Player 10MB with a charger rated 9V 300ma.
I think the other option this person was looking at was a 500ma charger,
so that's not as likely to cause damage, but it's still rated less than
the 600ma charger from Archos.

So, it's not so much that it'll charge faster, but just that over the
years I've had many more problems with under powered wall warts than
with over powered ones.

Michael