Subject: Re: FAO LINUS - RE: More long recording problems with JBR20

Re: FAO LINUS - RE: More long recording problems with JBR20

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:55:58 +0100 (BST)

Linus Nielsen Feltzing said:
> Meirion Williams [e-knowledge] wrote:
>> I'm sorry, I don't know how to read sectors from my hd, can you give
>> me some instructions to follow?
>
> I assume you are a Windows guy. You should be able to use a utility like
> WinHex, but I guess all such tools are shareware in the Windows world.
> :-(
>
> I'll have a look and see if I can find a free tool for that.
>
> Does anyone know about a free Windows tool to read raw sectors off a
> disk?

I'm guessing that under Linux you would use "dd"? For info, it would be
useful if you could post the exact command you would use for dd to do
this.

Would a basic Linux boot disk be able to do this? A simple rescue disk
like Tomsrtbt could give access to dd for this maybe? It would also need
the correct USB, scsi disk (sdmod) and USD200 drivers as well, so maybe
would take a bit of messing around. Maybe a mini-project for someone on
the list? If this can be achieved, then a bootable floppy image could be
made available.
--
Mike Holden
Rockbox page: http://www.mikeholden.org/~rockbox