Subject: Re: Can ROLO load non-scrambled images?

Re: Can ROLO load non-scrambled images?

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:40:04 +0200

TP Diffenbach wrote:
> I'm guessing your desire to not check for ajbrec.ajz is to skip having to
> spin up the disk, but don't we need to spin up in order to load settings?

No, that's not the reason. We always spin up the disk to read the root dir or the m3u/mp3 file that should resume.

The reason I oppose loading ajbrec.ajz (or archos.mod) at boot is that it's pointless. When you run flashed, you will more often than not flash the Rockbox version you want to run. Thus rolo:ing at boot is only annoying and you thus remove ajbrec.ajz to avoid it. But if you remove it, you are out of luck if the flash version bugs and you want to F1-boot using the backup archos firmware. No ajbrec.ajz means no rockbox and no chance to burn a new image without connecting to a pc.

I consider the ajbrec.ajz_ workaround just that: A workaround. Rockbox should not depend on bugs in the archos firmware.

--
Björn