Subject: RE: Feature request: Virtual Playlists

RE: Feature request: Virtual Playlists

From: Andreas Stemmer <groovingandi_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 01:02:14 +0200

anmelden wrote:
> But why split an mp3, if it is possible to use a cuesheet?
> Actually, I wouldn't like to split a concert or DJ-Set
> recording into pieces, when using a cuesheet helped me to
> leave the file in its original condition....

Cuesheets only contain the track title and position if I remember
correctly. I prefer splitting the files in seperate tracks because I can
add id3 tags to every song for extra info like composer for example.
Having one file per song makes organisation easier, too. It's no problem
to load the cuesheet and navigate to the single tracks in winamp and it
wouldn't be a problem in rockbox either, but what if you want to create
a playlist with songs from different live concerts, or if you want to
search for songs etc. With splitted tracks you can do everything you can
do with normal tracks plus seamless playback if you play them in the
right order.

> Then I had to
> keep *two* copies of each recording, one orignal and one
> split up to pieces for use in rockbox.

What do you need the original recording for? If you have splitted tracks
that play seamlessly, you can simply combine them to one big file again
if you need it.

Andreas Stemmer