Subject: Re: Fwd:Jukebox Recorder stops working after 36 hours or so

Re: Fwd:Jukebox Recorder stops working after 36 hours or so

From: Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:02:55 -0400

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:39:26 +0200, Jean Boullier wrote:
> If the hospitals in your area buy their 24/7 equipments with the same
> level of "professionalism" as this guy I sincerely advise you to never
> need to go there.... 8-)
>
> Anyway with the poor problem report that this guy has given one cannot
> say that the JB stopped working, it probably just stopped and just
> needed to be restarted, as any DP system which has not been
> specidically designed for 24/7 usage. The MTBF of any HD nowadays is by
> far superior to the MTBF of a complete application including hardware
> and software if it has not been designed for an (apparently) continuous
> availability..
>
> Personally I would not even give a single euro to a lawyer for filing
> such a case...
> Jean.

I don't lend any weight to the case either. Warranties usually
specifically disclaim any liability for suitability or fitness for any
particular use.

But I also feel compelled to discount your analogies. The Archos is
indeed more similar to bio-medical equipment than to DP systems owing to
it's specificity of purpose and relatively simplistic OS/firmware.

As to DP systems, I believe that Linux has proven that many "complete
applications" used in the complex way of a general purpose computer can
indeed run 24/7 for years, even with off the shelf hardware and a
relatively complex OS and program suite, even though not specifically
designed to do so.

I do believe the user should have simply rebooted the Jukebox and seen if
the problem repeated before contacting technical support. Could have just
been a corrupt MP3 for all anyone knows. But I see little reason other
than a lack of robustness in the firmware that the Archos could not be
counted on to run reliably on a 24/7 basis. This is why I encouraged the
user to give Rockbox a shot. Better buffering, more flexible charging,
drive spindown etc. combined with identification and elimination of
corrupted files should provide a very reliable system, especially when
considering that this is a stationary and presumably climate controlled
application.

Chris
"And uh, get the machine that goes *PING*"