Re: RE: Forum vs. Mailinglist

From: anmelden <anmelden_at_oleco.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:12:2 +0100

>Web forums are always less powerful than your favourite mail client when
>reading mails. If not, get a better mail program.
Have you seen a phpBB or an IB lately? they are pretty nifty actually....

>Trying to catch up with you different intesterests in various web forums
>instead of mail is time consuming and ineffective.
I don't know. I host a board and on the start page you see all posts since your last visit / all posts in the last 24/48/whatever hours or only from special forums..
For special interest one can set bookmarks in a board.

>Web forums get plagued by silly people who only ask once and never responds.
like this mailing list does....

>If you care about getting an answer, then you could well enough accept getting
>some extra mails too.
If then I can still find the answer...

>Not to mention how the anonymous posters tend to ruin things.
Then turn off anonymous posting like you do on a mailing list, so only members can post

>Web forums are for kids. Real people and real discussions need mailing lists,
>and there are news access and web based archives too.
Maybe, but even adults/real people like a decent search function ;)

but anyway
>I think I can speak for Björn and Linus too, when I say this:
>You will never see us host a rockbox web forum.

this makes it all clear I guess....