Subject: Re: I dont think the flashing tool should be a plugin..

Re: I dont think the flashing tool should be a plugin..

From: scott <die_pokemon_die123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:01:54 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jean Boullier <jean.boullier_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Personally I would strongly prefer that all the flashing material stay
> away from the regular Rockbox modules. And it is not only because first
> I do not need it and second I cannot use it in my current JBR. 8-)
>
> I think that the flashing process is not part of the normal
> functionality of the Jukeboxes, I mean it is not supposed to be used
> outside upgrade times and weighing the normal module down with code
> which is not normally necessary is adding unnecessary complexity.
>
> Also for those who have flashable units but do not wish to do it
> (carefulness, warranty, etc...) it is creating a potential risk to put
> this function somewhere in the regular menus.
>
> The way it is today, flashing is really a voluntary decision needing
> downloading specific pieces and starting a specific plugin and I think
> it is very well this way.
>
> Jean.

i don't think rockbox_flash program can do any harm. i don't think it will do anything if you
havn't already flashed. i do think the first flash program should be a plugin, since you shouldn't
have to do that more than once. flashing daily builds, however, isn't dangerous, and is a little
over-complicated as it is. also, having it in the main code eliminates the API version problems.

just my 3 cents

-scott