Subject: Re: CVS and code management question...

Re: CVS and code management question...

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 19:51:13 +0200

Dave Jones wrote:
> I haven't been able to update my local CVS code from the sourceforge anon
> CVS server for a very long time. I know there was some discussion of this
> problem earlier, was their any consensus reached about the best
> work-around?

Here is a quote from the latest Sourceforge status mail, received a few days ago:

----
As you may have noticed, CVS is visibly having growing pains.  Due to system
load, we have had to move anonymous checkouts to our backup server.  This has
made the code of our 65,000 projects more accessible.  However, since data is
synchronized from the primary CVS servers to the backup CVS servers at
specific times during the day, it has also caused up to a 24 hour delay in
getting the freshest code on the site.
I know this temporary solution has frustrated some of you and I want to
apologize for that.
The good news is, in the very short term, we will have a solution that will
solve this issue.  We are upgrading our hardware from one aging system to six
new speedy boxes; this hardware is a portion of the new CVS infrastructure
that we are implementing to improve CVS performance and reliability.
The solution will be in place by the time I write you next month.  You'll know
when we make the change.  It will be hard to miss.  In the mean time, hang in
there.  I know it's frustrating, but help is on the way.
----
I have decided to wait and see how the Sourceforge upgrade goes before considering moving the CVS repository.
--
Björn (on vacation)