Subject: Re: Why rockbox is playing with my battery level ?

Re: Why rockbox is playing with my battery level ?

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:19:27 +0200

mourad jaber wrote:
> It is something I see lot's of times, When I start my jbr20, the battery
> level is pretty low ( 15~20 % ) and after several times it increase
> slowly....

This is due to two things:

1) Directly after boot, the battery voltage is low due to having spent energy spinning up the disk and booting the device.

2) To avoid wildly fluctuating power levels due to the very varying battery loads (disk spinup uses 5-8 times normal power), Rockbox implements a limit on how fast the battery meter is allowed to change.

The combination of these two factors means that often you will find yourself booting up to a lower power level than you expected (lower than when you turned off last), and then find it has climbed back up to the previous level after 10-20 minutes.

This situation is not ideal, of course. We should do some testing and see if we can work around this "low battery after boot" problem in a graceful way. But at least now you know what happens.

--
Björn