Subject: Re: semi OT: MP3 splitter

Re: semi OT: MP3 splitter

From: Neon John <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 04:53:43 -0400

Thanks. saved me some time. The only things I've found so far that even come
close are MusiCutter and File Split Pro. MusiCutter has potential in that it
can import a text or CUE file but it only does one source file at a time and
I'll be damned if I can figure out his text file format. He doesn't document
it and doesn't answer email, apparently. File split Pro would do the job
except it's not mp3-aware and will cut in the middle of frames unless you
specify the chunk size right down to the byte.

Update: After hours of searching I found a few things but nothing that will
do the job. So far.

first, I found this page:

http://www.burstnet.com/cgi-bin/ads/ad5736a.cgi/1417/RETURN-CODE

A list of splitter utilities. some showed possibilities but are gympware
which I won't fool with. I didn't find anything useful.

 HJ split is free but it's not an mp3 splitter so no frame boundary detection.
Plus no batch file processing.

I did find this nifty site in the process:
http://www.freebyte.com/

Another possibility is here on SourceForge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp3splitter/

So far, Linux only. A windoze port would be nice.

Just before lights-out I found this one:

http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/

Looks very promising except that it doesn't appear to have the option to
specify a file length. All cuts must be specified in terms of beginning and
end. I guess a fancy batch file would overcome that limitation. I'll ponder
this one tomorrow.

John

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 01:57:25 -0400, Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net> wrote:

>If you haven't tried it yet, don't bother. It only allows you to make one
>cut (startpoint, endpoint) per file. I don't see how that could be
>convenient, much less what use anyone could have for such a process. :P
>
>Chris
>
>On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 00:54:58 -0400, Neon John wrote:
>> Thanks. That looks like it might work. I'd looked at this product
>> last time I went on the cutter hunt but it didn't do batch back then.
>>
>> I'm getting annoyed enough about this and about begware for simple
>> utilities that I might just write a command line utility. Would be a
>> good way to re-enter programming after about 10 years off...
>>
>> john

---
John De Armond
johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net