Subject: Re: "Flipping" through playlist songs takes a while

Re: "Flipping" through playlist songs takes a while

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 17:04:46 +0100

> > If the dir contains many filenames which are l-o-n-g, the disk will spin
> > down before you are able to read, fully, all the filenames on the screen.
>
>Yes, since you are not pressing any buttons Rockbox assumes you are idle
>and spins down the disk.
>
> > Yes, if it gets that bad, I WILL patch the code myself. However, in the
> > meantime, it would be sensible to simply accept that the problem DOES
> exist!
>
>What problem? That the disk spins down when you are idle? This is a
>deliberate feature.
>
>The dir browser is the normal idle state for Rockbox. That's where you are
>when you are not doing anything else. Keeping the disk spinning then would
>drain the battery very quickly.
>
>If you want a very long spindown timout, you can configure rockbox to use
>that. I don't understand why you are using a 3s timer while at the same
>time complaining that the disk spins down too quickly.

Do not fail to understand. You must learn the difference between a
"complaint" and "statement" or "comment". You must realise that
intelligent people will suggest new features from time to time. You must
not see these as "complaints", you must see these as opportunities to
improve both yourself and your products. For example, the next time
someone (at work maybe) cannot understand your new idea, you can quote or
paraphrase this paragraph to them.

Perhaps I am wrong, but logic dictates that the spin-down-timer controls
the length of time between the last disk-access or keyboard-access and when
the disk spins down? Perhaps it means something else?

So, if I set the spindown-timer to, say, 30 seconds to allow for pain-free
browsing; then every time the unit automatically spins up to refill the
playback buffer it will hold the drive active for 30 seconds and drain
untold power from my batteries on a regualr basis, rather than just the
occasional browse every few hours.

Therefore, I choose to suffer poor browsing in exchange for a quick
spin-down during playback.

Do you understand now, or shall I explain it more detail?