Subject: Re: Volume level linearity...

Re: Volume level linearity...

From: Rob <rob.ward_at_paradise.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 10:24:59 +1200

Thanks Bjorn. Curious...I rarely use headphones...my observation was
based upon playing directly into my amplified PC speakers. I would have
expected the response from them to be linear since they are a high
impedance input.

I understand the human ear has a logarithmic amplitude response which is
why radio volume control potentiometers are logarithmic - to match our
ears. This leads to our hearing a linear increase in volume.

Perhaps this is why I'm not hearing a linear increase...the volume
output is not based on a logarithmic algorithm? Does anyone understand
the mysteries I am trying to utter?

Rob