Subject: Re: Spot is held captive by Windows!

Re: Spot is held captive by Windows!

From: Sharon <sharon25_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 00:39:49 -0700

John, thanks for your helpful information! I could indeed play the
books from the Jukebox on the PC. I did the error checking and it
said it found nothing. I reinstalled drivers from the CD. I ejected
it properly when windows said it was safe to do so.

But the books still will not play on the Archos. The folder is there,
but when the triangle is pointing to the folder and I use either the
arrow or the center play button to play it, nothing plays and nothing
shows on the monitor except the battery and other icons across the
top. I tried again creating a playlist and that is called "root.m3u".
When I try to delete connected to the PC, it now totally crashed my
computer, in addition to wanting to notify Microsoft. When I
rebooted, I deleted the book folders and reinstalled Rockbox and now
I am back to the old problem of it won't let me unmount the device:
says it "cannot be stopped right now, try again later".

I went to the Archos website to get drivers and it downloaded a ton
of USB drivers; I have no idea what goes where....they're all in a
folder in "documents" at the moment. Isn't it smart enough to figure
out which one(s) I need? I thought XP installed all the drivers it
needed on its own? (I am a Mac person, so this is all confusing to
me.)

I tried to do the error checking again and it says it has to schedule
itself on a reboot. When I reboot, it doesn't check the drive, so I
don't know what happened to the schedule.

What in the world am I doing wrong? Is this unit defective or am I?

Is there anything else to try? Can I maybe reformat the hard drive
and start from the very beginning?

Sharon

P.S. It seems like all I do is recharge batteries. Do these batteries
really last this short of time? I had it recharged and just in the
time I've been trying to get it formatted and working, the battery
indicator is down over 50%. is that normal?