Subject: Re: Making progress - but more battery life questions

Re: Making progress - but more battery life questions

From: Sharon <sharon25_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:45:49 -0700

>Well, it really isn't necessary to discharge them first. These are NiMHs
>not NiCads, so they don't have nearly the memory problem. NiMHs do have
>SOME memory, but it is fairly minimal. You can do a full discharge every
>10 or 20 cycles if you want. Doing a full discharge every cycle is more
>likely to simply wear out the batteries sooner without much benefit on run
>time.

Michael, that is good to know. It's a hassle to always have to worry
if they are fully discharged, so one less thing to worry about is
good!

>You should definitely see longer run times at lower bitrates. It's tricky
>computing EXACTLY how much longer.

That got into WAY higher math computations than I want to do! But at
least now I understand WHY higher bitrates use more battery power. It
wasn't making sense to me before why the unit would care what the
bitrate was; I was thinking in terms of a CD player, where I don't
think it matters since the CD is always spinning anyway (is that
right?). It makes sense that if it has a certain amount of buffer and
has to refill the buffer more often cuz it holds less at 128 bitrate
than at 32 bitrate, then the accessing the hard drive uses battery
power. Thanks for that explanation; I love understanding the WHY of
things!

I actually can't tell that much difference in listening to an
audiobook at 32 bitrate and 96 bitrate myself, so maybe I'll just
reduce them and keep the higher bitrate as an archive copy.

Learning more and more and getting happier and happier with my Jukebox! Thx!

Sharon