Subject: Re: Sound back in both ears! What is a cfg file?

Re: Sound back in both ears! What is a cfg file?

From: Michael O'Quinn <michael_at_oquinn.info>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 00:25:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:

> Sharon wrote:
> > Why would you WANT to write a .cfg file? What does it do that I would
> > want done? If it stores all my preferences that would be good, but I
> > thought the unit itself did that when you turned it off?
>
> You have a perfect example in an earlier posting in this list, "Somekind
> of Error", where the user wanted an easy way of switching between a flat
> EQ and another with bass/treble boosted.
>
> He could save the settings, once with a flat EQ and once with a boosted
> EQ. He would then have two .cfg files that he could Play to change the
> settings easily.
>
> Linus

Another example is that occasionally a daily build invalidates the
"Master" configuration that is stored on disk. This occurs only rarely,
and it is the result of obscure technical optimizations of the storage
format. The bottom line is that when it happens, you have to re-enter all
of your settings. If you have a reasonably recent "Save" file, you can
restore your settings in a snap.

The reason you might want to use a daily build is that you find some "must
have" feature is now available, and you want to try it out.

Also, in general with computers, it's always good to have a backup, and
writing a config file does just that. Even better is writing a config
file and then saving that to your computer's hard disk, which provides an
even better backup. (For example, I have had my GPS receiver for years,
and it has NEVER failed or crashed and I have never lost any data I have
stored on it. Nevertheless, after a long trip I'm always uneasy until
I've backed up all my new waypoints to my PC, just in CASE something
happens.)

Michael