Subject: Re: expanding 400 song directory for dummies

Re: expanding 400 song directory for dummies

From: <groovingandi_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:27:26 +0200 (MEST)

> thanks for your help. when you say to consider organizing the music
> differently, does that mean that is undesirable to expand the directory
> capacity? if so, what consequences or drawbacks are there?

There are two drawbacks:
1) Finding a song becomes horrible, you have tried to scroll through 400
files?
2) If you increase the max dir size setting, more memory gets reserved for
storing the directory information which means that you have less memory for
buffering your mp3 data. This will reduce your battery runtime because you'll
need more disk accesses.

I sort my songs in the following structure:

\Genre\Artist\YYYY - Album\XX Title.mp3

where "Genre" is a quite rough classification (I have "Rock&Pop", "Jazz,
Funk, Fusion, Latin", "Soundtrack", "Comedy", "Classical", "PlayAlongs"),
"Artist" is the name of the artist, "YYYY" is the year of the publication of the
album, "XX" is the track number with leading zeros if necessary, "Title" is the
track title. This way, the artists are sorted alphabetically, the albums of
one artist are sorted in the order of publication and the song titles of each
album are sorted in the right order, too.

There are several tools around which do the sorting automatically if you
have proper id3 tags.

Andreas Stemmer