Subject: Cheap/good digital-audio Boston Acoustics BA735

Cheap/good digital-audio Boston Acoustics BA735

From: LoveLearn <LoveLearn_at_iw.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:25:11 -0500

Gateway Computer's designers once thought digital rather than analog
output systems were probably going to become the new default standard.
So far, that hasn't happened. But they sold lots of systems with Boston
Acoustics model BA735 sound systems. These ONLY accept digital audio
input, not analog. So their current resale value, driven by trivial
demand, is very depressed. In other words, if we can use them, they are
available for almost "give away prices." Test reports from when they
were newly released say they have a clean sounding amplifier with
electronics driving 3 speakers. One left, one right and a larger ported
low frequency speaker contained in a center box with the electronics.
They
require a DC input, most typically provided by the included Boston
Acoustics "wall wart" which acts as a "phantom load" even when not being
used. Owing to analog audio's continued dominance in computer sound
output devices, used BA735 systems are being offered on eBay for
ridiculously low prices, like $9.99 to $15. Of course buyers still have
to pay for shipping. I'm hoping these might be used as wonderful Archos
accessories.

BA735's audio input is a female "phono" audio style jack, like those
used between audio components for 50 years. I don't know about polarity
or whether Archos player/recorders will drive them, but if they can be
connected easily, I expect lots of Archos owners would love to know
what's required. Has anyone driven one of these with their Archos? I'd
like to know before buying a set.
John
LoveLearn