Subject: Re: [Archos Studio 20] USB transfer slow and chaotic

Re: [Archos Studio 20] USB transfer slow and chaotic

From: LoveLearn <LoveLearn_at_iw.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:33:04 -0500

Since you seem to indicate that your Archos has a 2.0 USB port, consider
buying USB 2.0 capable interface equipment. My older computer had no USB
port when I bought my 20 meg Archos recorder. So I made Archos transfers
with USB 1.1 from a friend's computer. That opportunity to experience
USB 1.1 interface speed was enough. I looked USB 2.0 cards offered on
eBay. For $15 - $20 including shipping I could have a multi-port card
delivered to my door. Then I looked at new motherboards and subtracted
USB upgrade costs since decent new motherboards come with USB 2.0 jacks.
So I bought an Asus A7N8X-X motherboard with six USB 2.0 jacks, 4 hard
configured on the back plane next to its on-board ethernet jack. USB
transfers to/from the Archos are incredibly fast, transferring many
complete songs per second. I don't know why on-board USB 2.0 ports would
enable faster transfers than many USB cards. But I've heard that
on-board USB 2.0 ports often show a speed advantage.

John

I suspect Angelika Milster may be the best female popular singer alive
today.