Subject: RE: Survey: who has a non-V1 boot ROM?

RE: Survey: who has a non-V1 boot ROM?

From: Fred Maxwell <rockbox_at_anti-spam.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:02:14 -0400

Something that needs to be mentioned: The 2.0 release DOES NOT compute the
CRC for the boot ROM. It is necessary to load a later nightly build to get
the info.

I used the 08/29/03 build for my Jukebox Studio 10. The display shows "ROM
CRC:222" but does not scroll. I assume that it's 222Fh, but I can't see
beyond 10 characters.

Regards,
  Fred Maxwell

http://rockbox.haxx.se/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2003-06/0287.shtml

- There is no UART boot mode like the one I exploited for my mod, but
something better (requires no further mod than serial):

- I analyzed how this monitor works, know how to operate it. It indeed has
the capability to reflash within certain areas, but can also be used to
download and start arbitrary code over the serial link.

- I have modified my UART boot mode tool to work with the Archos monitor
instead, use it to transfer and start my "minimon". With V2, this again
allows to fully reprogram from scratch, even if completely messed up, it is
the safety net. I like to have that first, before any flashing experiments.

The follow up question would be: Is there somebody with a V2 bootrom who
has/can do the serial mod to verify this? We can start easy, first blink the
LED, more as you like.

Jörg

Getestet von Stiftung Warentest: GMX FreeMail (GUT), GMX ProMail (GUT) (Heft
9/03 - 23 e-mail-Tarife: 6 gut, 12 befriedigend, 5 ausreichend)
Jetzt selbst kostenlos testen: http://www.gmx.net