Subject: Re: Is my hard drive locked? Need help with Linux unlock

Re: Is my hard drive locked? Need help with Linux unlock

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 01:06:24 +0100

Honda wrote:
> Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> > You should make sure that the hard drive is partitioned correctly. The
> > disk must have a partition table, and I assume that your disk doesn't
> > have one.
>
> Thanks for such a speedy reply. I did partition the HD more than once
> under both Win XP and Linux and then formatted it as FAT32 and gave it
> the "Jukebox" label. Does it need to be re-partitioned in any special way?

Yes. You must make sure that you have an MBR with a partition table at
sector 0. The partition table should contain a primary partition
starting at sector 63.

It is possible that you have formatted the entire disk as one FAT32
partition, without a partition table.

Have you mounted it with Linux? If so, which device name was it?

Linus