Subject: Re: Errors at high levels

Re: Errors at high levels

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 13:59:16 +0100

Martin Borus wrote:
> On line-in recordings close to the maximum level I get reports
> of many errors. When I use a lower recording level, I do not
> get that many errors - most of the time, none at all.
> If the reports from mp3directcut are corrent, it could be true
> that the Archos mp3 encoder has a problem with high levels.

Wow. Maybe the MAS has to use the highest bitrate for a too long
sustained time? If so, there are two scenarios:

1) The MAS fails to encode the data, sending garbage to the CPU.

2) The CPU can't cope with the high data rate, and the MAS output buffer
is overflowed because the CPU doesn't fetch the data fast enough.

I wonder how we could test this...

Linus