Subject: Re: Is my hard drive locked? Need help with Linux unlock

Re: Is my hard drive locked? Need help with Linux unlock

From: Honda <honda_at_gbronline.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:16:55 -0500

Yes, I was indeed running fdisk on /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/sda when I
tried your geometry. I caught my own slip of mind late last night (see my
post at ~1 am). I guess I had tried everything by that time and was
*literally* at my wit's end. :-)

However, prior to this misadventure (or stupidity), and after it, I used the
proper fdisk /dev/sda command, and it does not work except as an external
USB drive.

I took the Jukebox apart last night to make sure the hard drive was
connected properly. Everything seemed to be OK. Is it supposed to have a
jumper to set it as a slave, or a master?

Am I supposed to mkdosfs it right after I fdisk it, or should I reboot after
fdisk but befor mkdosfs?

Am I supposed to set a specific "cluster size" (4096, 8192 or whatever)?

I am just crapshooting at this point I guess.