Subject: RE: Archo killing open source....

RE: Archo killing open source....

From: Fred Maxwell <rockbox_at_anti-spam.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 18:36:04 -0500

eD\/ARd0 F/\KEn^M3:

> The differnce is that both those mechanisms where used almost
> exclusively for sharing copyrighted material. You could go on
> either the 'search engine' or 'napster' and see that 99% of
> the material was copyrighted. The majority of Archos users
> will not be using it for copyright violations and Archos can
> probably show that they did not intend it to be used that way.

So what? It doesn't stop them from being sued if someone releases
widely-used firmware which disables some type of DRM or copy protection.
You seem to think that I'm saying that the RIAA/MPAA would win, be right, or
have the legal high ground. I'm not. I'm saying that they could sue Archos
and Archos might want to avoid such a suit.

Now this is all based on one possibility: That the Archos AV software
might, in some way, defeat DRM in such a was as to upset the studios. Let's
keep in mind that I'm not claiming that was the reason for the legal action,
just that it was possible.

Regards,
  Fred Maxwell