Subject: Re: Stupid question, sorry

Re: Stupid question, sorry

From: Brian Wolven <brian.wolven_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 14:05:02 -0500

Florian Kläger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just plugged in my new Archos, and after all i've read on the
> rockbox page, i really want to use rockbox instead of the archos
> firmware. to be on the safe side, i still want to backup the old
> firmware as described in the rockbox manual - trouble is, i can't
> find it on the hd! Even with DirectorySnoop, I can't find a file
> ending with .ajz (I have a recorder). Can anybody help? (Sorry to
> bother you with this, it's probably a really annoying newbie
> question, but i couldn't find anything on the faq list).

It is in the ROM. The Archos is set up to load the firmware in the ROM
first, then it will look for an ajbrec.ajz file in the root directory
and load that file if it exists. This is how Archos would supply its own
updated firmware (if such a thing existed <g>). When you drag the
rockbox .ajz file onto the root of your drive, you're just giving your
recorder an update. Remove that file and you go back to the original
firmware.

Now once you see how nice rockbox is, you're going to want to re-flash
your recorder (assuming it is hardware compatible, as most are) and put
rockbox in ROM as well. You'll boot much faster, and you can still
revert to the archos firmware, as a copy of that is also stored in the
ROM. But save that operation for later, and make sure you read the
instructions first. =)