Subject: RE: Yipee!

RE: Yipee!

From: Andreas Stemmer <groovingandi_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:28:15 +0100 (MET)

> So in step 7 I download a file to my desktop, because I don't know what
> to do with it

You're right, it should be step 9. It's not very sensible to do it in this
order.

> In Step 9, without changing directory again, I create Build-dir and CD
> to it. I then try to run a command "../tools/configure", but surely
> that path is not created yet?

It should be there already, because it's a part of the sourcecode package.

> Finally in step 10, I unpack the tools to ~/tools, but where is ~/tools,
> what path does '~' signify in this context?

~ is your home directory, in this case /home/rockbox/

> For example, as I could not connect to the CVS (timeouts) I decided to
> download the source tarball, as suggested in Step 8. This however puts
> all the files in /home/rockbox/rockbox-daily-20031118/ is this correct,
> should all the files be in /home/rockbox? It's not clear at the point
> where you try to do it... It may well be once you actually start to
> build, but why not save the pain?

Yes, we should perhaps make it clearer.
After installation, you should have the following directory structure:

/home/rockbox/apps
/home/rockbox/build-dir
(/home/rockbox/CVS)
/home/rockbox/docs
/home/rockbox/firmware
/home/rockbox/tools

The tools directory should contain the files from rockbox-tools.tar.bz2 and
the source files from cvs.
It's no problem if you have everything in
/home/rockbox/rockbox-daily-20031118/ instead of /home/rockbox/, it's only necessary that the relative paths
are correct.

Andreas