Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: V2 recorder, what is that?

Re: V2 recorder, what is that?

From: lovelearn <lovelearn_at_iw.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:43:19 -0600

Linus wrote, "My guess is that Archos is saving some money by
"upgrading" the Recorder model to use the same casing and hardware
platform as the FM Recorder, with LiIon battery etc."

I surely agree with putting quotes around that "upgrading" reference.
Front protection from the earlier design is much better. As I mentioned
in an earlier post, I stacked four 25 pound weight lifting plates on the
front of my ARJR 20 with no damage. I did this after demonstrating that
a 150 pound person can stand on an empty free US Mail Priority mailing
carton's outside corners without having it collapse. So that Archos test
didn't seem risky. By contrast, that same load would contact the newer
rounded front design model style display screen and probably cause
internal damage. I like those protective projecting front bumpers which
makes the display screen and keys comparatively recessed. Also given the
choice between 4 easily swapped AA cells or one LiIon battery, I'd keep
my sets of 4 cells. That would be true even without troubling reports of
LiIon battery swelling damage and charging system failures. I've had two
friends buy Archos recorders as a result of exposure to mine. In both
cases, I've recommended that they avoid the "upgraded" (degraded in my
opinion) versions. For those reading these posts before buying an
Archos, it only seems fair that they should be warned that not everyone
considers the rounded front LiIon battery design to be a functional
improvement. Everyone seems to prefer the newer appearance, but that's
another issue.
John LoveLearn