Subject: Re: Full firmware format

Re: Full firmware format

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:06:47 +0100 (MET)

> I reflash regularly with daily build, but only the Rockbox part by
> "playing" the ucl.
> Is there some changes in the fixed part of rombox ( loader for example ) ?
> In that case, can I reflash completly my ajbr without more risk than the
> first time ?

The bootloader has changed a bit, it now includes a little monitor (started
with F3+On) as an extra rescue option in case the initial flash gets
interrupted or so. I did that mainly for the ROMless variant, since they have no UART
boot option. But if you've successfully "formatted" your box once, there is
no point in a full reflash. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

This will change sometime soon, I'm working on an improvement for the "flat
battery issue". I've fixed but not released it for recorders already, the FM
still waits for a solution. The problem is that the unit always spins up the
disk when starting, which grounds it if the battery is flat. So now the
bootloader shuts down the disk asap if the charger is plugged. Otherwise it's
possible that you won't even reach the charging screen because the disk causes a
power collapse. Not really an issue for recorders, where you can take out the
cells and charge them externally, but for the FM. Unfortunately it seems to
have no hardware to really power off the disk, I would have to send ATA
commands. Not shure how Archos handled this. Anybody with an open FM where you can
measure the voltage on the disk connector?

Jörg

--
GMX Weihnachts-Special: Seychellen-Traumreise zu gewinnen!
Rentier entlaufen. Finden Sie Rudolph! Als Belohnung winken