Subject: Re: Open source software for Archos Petition - please sign

Re: Open source software for Archos Petition - please sign

From: Joris van den Heuvel <joris.bass_at_planet.nl>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:30:43 +0100

From: "Neon John" <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>

> If you do your research (yeah, that still impresses people) to learn
something
> about the business side of Archos, if you identify the key decision maker,
if
> you bother to learn something about HIM or her and if you write or type a
well
> worded, properly formatted and spelled correctly letter that makes a
BUSINESS
> case for open software, then and only then you might have a shot at
effecting
> change. Do anything else and you're wasting your time. And probably his
> secretary, as he'll never see it.
>
> John

Now those are the first sensible words I've read in this thread.

Call me a pessimist.

They don't give a shoot about a few hundred customers they couldn't satisfy.
Offer them something of value (we're talking a few hundred thousand dollars
here to increase their profit margin a few ppm) and chances are they might
listen. But, as Neon John said, they probably won't listen anyway. And if
they would:

- your message has to reach a person with any influence whatsoever
- that person has to be willing and daring enough to go out on a limb for
customers' suggestions
- that person has to know who to talk to about it
- your message has to make it to a staff meeting
- your idea has to be able to be incorporated into company policy, after all
it means extra time, and they'll probably figure they'll lose money over it,
and they're right, because by now, they would already have.