Subject: Re: Open source software for Archos Petition - please sign

Re: Open source software for Archos Petition - please sign

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:19:05 +0000

At 23:30 24/11/03 +0100, you wrote:
>From: "Neon John" <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>
>

> > If you do your research (yeah, that still impresses people) to learn
>something
> > about the business side of Archos, if you identify the key decision maker,
>if
> > you bother to learn something about HIM or her and if you write or type a
>well
> > worded, properly formatted and spelled correctly letter that makes a
>BUSINESS
> > case for open software, then and only then you might have a shot at
>effecting
> > change. Do anything else and you're wasting your time. And probably his
> > secretary, as he'll never see it.
> >
> > John
>
>Now those are the first sensible words I've read in this thread.
>
>Call me a pessimist.
>
>They don't give a shoot about a few hundred customers they couldn't satisfy.
>Offer them something of value (we're talking a few hundred thousand dollars
>here to increase their profit margin a few ppm) and chances are they might
>listen. But, as Neon John said, they probably won't listen anyway. And if
>they would:
>
>- your message has to reach a person with any influence whatsoever
>- that person has to be willing and daring enough to go out on a limb for
>customers' suggestions
>- that person has to know who to talk to about it
>- your message has to make it to a staff meeting
>- your idea has to be able to be incorporated into company policy, after all
>it means extra time, and they'll probably figure they'll lose money over it,
>and they're right, because by now, they would already have.

In the 'trade' that is called "mind reading" and although it's a
reasonable, if not pesemistic, basis to start from if all you have is
guesswork, or personal experiences that may, or may not, relate to the
Archos business model.

It is incredible how some people forget to ask the other party to quantify
their position (I've even seen this simple error occur in marital
situations!)

For all we know, it could have been some hot-headed middle-management bod
who has since been sacked for upsetting customers ...Find out why Archos
are defensive in this area, what THEY feel they stand to gain by their
stance, and what THEY suspect they may lose by moving.

Wouldn't it be crazy if someone found a simple solution that made everybody
happy?

I am sure that anyone intellectual and dedicated enough to enter into
serious negotiations with Archos will be able to find the clues in their
words and form a mutually beneficial solution. :)

Good luck

BC