Subject: Re: a couple of questions about ver. 2.1

Re: a couple of questions about ver. 2.1

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:42:41 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, c s wrote:

> I don't see what's confusing about switching to the charging screen when a
> user turns the unit off while plugged in. That seems perfectly logical.

Because OFF doesn't turn the unit off, it simply makes it reboot into another
weird state. I'd say it is illogical.

> Users wonder why they can't turn the unit off.

You described way is NOT turning the unit off.

> As you pointed out Linus, it may be true that it's not really switching the
> player off but rather booting to the charging screen, but to the typical
> user the charging screen looks like "off".

Lots of people have asked why it does this "reboot" instead of turning off.

> The current behavior may make some sense on Recorders because it keeps the
> Rockbox charging algorithm in control (although I think it would make more
> sense to switch the Recorder to a Rockbox charging screen)

Why?

> but since Rockbox doesn't control the charging on a Player

And neither does the Archos firmware you'd rather have running...

> disabling the off button accomplishes nothing functionally, and only
> confuses the user who may wonder why he can't turn the unit off.

Again: you can't turn it off while the charger is connected.