Subject: Re: Hd failure on recorder 20

Re: Hd failure on recorder 20

From: Hans Baumeister <hdb_at_hdbconsult.de>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 17:28:47 +0100

Roland,

the tac tac tac is probably coming from your hard drive which is being told
to turn on and back off rhythmically. I had the same problem after
replacing the original 6 GB hard disk with a 20 Gig version (also IBM, same
model). After several hours of checking the unit with the case off (worked
fine), then putting the case back on only to get the identical effect you
described (unit would only spin up and boot if the ON button was held) to
taking the case back off... repeat above... I figured out the actual
problem: there seems to be a distributed ground connection around the top
of the unit (also to the left of the ON button) that is realised by
bleeding solder through a PCB hole onto the metal case below. A pretty
haphazard way of doing things (but to be honest, I was shocked anyway at
the soldering quality inside my Recorder).
I took a soldering iron and pumped some new, hot solder into this ground
bridge -- after that - no problem!

Hans