Subject: Re: [Hardware mod idea] button/panel mod

Re: [Hardware mod idea] button/panel mod

From: scott <die_pokemon_die123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:30:06 -0800 (PST)

--- Minuk Choi <Choi.Minuk_at_verizon.net> wrote:
> Hey gang,
>
> My Archos... which I was enjoying greatly thanks to rockbox ran into a problem. The F2
> button snapped off.

how 'off' is it? my F2 and F3 are both broken, but they stay inside the archos still.

> I tried to super glue the piece back onto the support bar thingy(if you've taken it apart,
> it's that long plastic piece that's connected to the F1-F3 keys and provides the "resistence"
> feeling of pressing a button.

'tried' implying that it didn't work? i know some people have done this sucessfully. i would've by
now if i had some superglue...

> Anyway, while I was looking inside, it looks like the buttons themselves are not directly
> beneath the buttons(some buttons have extensions that depress the button on the circuit).

if memory serves, only the F buttons are like that.

> Has anyone thought about doing a hardware mod which would replace the rather fragile buttons?

i've _thought_ of it, but not realistically.

> Right now, I've half a mind to just remove the entire buttons layout part from the cover, so I
> can just depress the buttons on the circuits directly...

i thought of this, but i don't like the idea of the circuit board being so exposed.

> they look like the buttons on a mouse anyway(even down to the "click") and shouldn't be hard to
> devise a different layout that'll depress the buttons.

i think implenting it is the challenge, not the design. offhand i can't think of a way to redo the
buttons without making new buttons and modding the hell out of the faceplate.

> It would be cool if the button panel can be replaced with the touch buttons of the 3rd
> generation iPod :-P.

might be cool, but would probably be a lot more work than it's worth.

> Anyone with any insight, or even interest reply here. I definitely need a more permenant fix to
> the broken F2 button... and I'd like to have a discussion before I start making physical
> changes.

i'm definitely interested in a soltion, as i have 2 buttons that are broken, and down is feeling
kind of weak. i don't see a very practical solution though, as much as i'd like to.

-scott