Subject: Re: Lifespan of a hard drive in an mp3 player?

Re: Lifespan of a hard drive in an mp3 player?

From: SteamShip <steamship_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:26:53 -0500

Yeah, I read about that amazing construction detail in a recent Maximum PC
article. I have had some 5400 HD's in daily operation for 10 years, but
others shit the bed after 3 months (both were new WD 180GB special edition
8mb cache JB drives). Laptops and Notebooks are slopped around similar to
these Archos units, and I have some 10 year old Laptops that still run just
fine.

Most HD companies are switching to only a year warranty for their standard
models, but I would say 3-5 years should be a fair expectation. Still have
to backup. Thank God for DVD burners to make cheap data backups now. Dual
layer DVD burners coming later this year to hold 8GB's, not to mention
external USB-2/Firewire Drives.