Subject: Re: ATA Error -52 HELP! WORSE NEWS

Re: ATA Error -52 HELP! WORSE NEWS

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:16:34 -0000 (GMT)

Ok people, can we dispense with the insults now please, on both sides.
Steamship has a problem, and if we can't help him, how about we don't
post?

Ok, there is no published list of error codes, you need to look in the
source code, specifically in ata.c and file.c in this case. -5 is returned
from the ata layer when it can't read the data requested from the disk.
The 2 gets added on to the end of this by the file layer to indicate that
it was a read or write which failed. Basically it's a generic "could not
read requested data from disk" error.

I find it unlikely that flashing could have caused this, it's just a
coincidence that it happened soon after flashing. I don't have any figures
to hand, but can only recall one or two people have problems with
flashing, and one of those was an early adopter who flashed the wrong
version onto his unit because he didn't read the instructions properly!

As you have said yourself, you suspect a HD problem, and I agree. I would
suggest you try a scandisk (connected to your Windows PC), and if that
doesn't work, you could try reformatting it. Failng that, try out your
warranty with Amazon :-)

--
Mike Holden
Rockbox page: http://www.mikeholden.org/~rockbox