Subject: Re: Avos and strategy

Re: Avos and strategy

From: Jimmy Moore <jimmy_at_axod.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:47:50 -0800

Daniel,
        Avos is certainly not a hoax. I decided I wanted to play games on my
av300, so I worked out the firmware format.
        Here is what Archos currently claim:

        By circumventing the encryption on the firmware, I violated the DMCA,
and also the european equivalent - the EUDLPCP. I apparently
"circumvented a technological measure that effectively controls access
to a copyrighted work.". ('circumventing a technologyical measure' is
defined to include 'decrypting an encrypted work'.

        They also claim that these laws only allow exemptions for
interoperability between programs. Not between a program and the
hardware. I would personally say the interoperability is between 2
programs - the firmware, and the 'ROM firmware loader software'

That makes rockbox illegal under the DMCA/EUDLPCP also.
I think they are grossly mistaken, but I don't want to take any chances.

If any of you are extremely up on the law, know any lawyer friends, of
have the extortionate amount of money lawyers charge, please let me
know. It's not an issue in terms of webspace/location. It's an issue in
terms of legal costs.

On the plus side, I have written an emulator for the jbmm/av100/av300
(Still quite a bit of hardware to work out), and we have got some basic
programs running on the hardware.

                        Jimmy "Dogger" Moore

--
Jimmy Moore <jimmy_at_axod.net>