Subject: Re: The future

Re: The future

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:26:01 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Neon John wrote:

> Now that all the "good" Jukeboxes are apparently gone, have you developers
> given any thought to the future of Rockbox? Other potential platforms?
> I'm certainly interested, as I'd like to buy several more players but do NOT
> want to suffer the FMR blues again. How about the PJB
> (http://www.pjbox.com/)? I played with one of those a couple of years ago.
> Really nifty hardware, sucky software. Just begging for a RockBox port.

While not speaking for anyone else, I think I can summarize the general
position on this topic:

        Sure!

With the Neo players we are slowly moving Rockbox to become an mp3-player
firmware for players made by multiple vendors. Leaving the Archos-only world
feels good.

Then, getting Rockbox to run on other devices (like this PJB, the iRiver, the
Rio Karma and others) is "only" about getting lots of info about the platforms
and lots of hard work, and then writing some new drivers (and
compiling/building with a new compiler setup)! ;-)

All the hard work that was done to descramble and understand the Archos
firmware, its boot sequence and how to generate new firmwares need to be
done from scratch on other platforms. I doubt these companies will help us.

In the end, this requires that a good bunch of tech-heads that own these units
join up and start digging into this. I don't see this happening among the
core-developers of Rockbox atm.