Subject: Re: BUGS - ARGH

Re: BUGS - ARGH

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:42:24 +0100

Fred Maxwell wrote:
> There is a reason that major software companies release beta software rather
> than daily builds. Bug tracking becomes a nightmare otherwise.

Actually, daily builds is an established regression testing method and a blessing for bug tracking. Having bug reports that say "between the 19th and 20th of november, this function broke" means it is very simple to track down what was changed and how to fix it.

It also allows us to develop more smoothly, since we don't have to define, freeze and test betas. All our developers know that the code we commit today will be ran by people all over the world tomorrow, so it must be "production quality" immediately. Thus there are very few "/* TODO: fix this before release */" comments in our code.

Major software companies' products would probably be a lot less buggy if they used daily builds more...

--
Björn