Subject: Re: Red Led Dead test II

Re: Red Led Dead test II

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:00:54 -0000 (GMT)

Björn Stenberg said:
> Mike Holden wrote:
>> My conclusion then : "Basically, when we hit this problem, the
>> ATA_ALT_STATUS __always__ returns 0x80 (BUSY). This means that
>> wait_for_bsy() loops for 10 seconds before returning a timeout status.
>> This usually happens when called from perform_soft_reset() in
>> ata_read_sectors(),
>
> Yes, and this is precisely what my ata fix (now in cvs) addressed. It
> was a timing problem in perform_soft_reset().
>
> This second testing round with ata_history is designed to bring more
> light on the second RLOD problem: Movement induced RLOD, which according
> to reports was not remedied by my soft_reset change.

I always believed the issue I saw to be movement and not spontaneous RLOD,
hence re-posting my findings!

Perversely, I hardly ever see RLOD these days, partly I suspect due to
carrying my unit differently - I used to put it in a pocket (pants or
jacket), but now usually use the beltloop on the supplied pouch
--
Mike Holden
Rockbox page: http://www.mikeholden.org/~rockbox