Subject: Re: The future

Re: The future

From: roland <for_spam_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:21:43 +0100

hey this looks really nice!

maybe this is easy to hack?
i downloaded firmware-file (~3.5mb-ouch!) of hd500 and it seems somewhat
unscrambled. at least there is readable clear-text at adress hex#00153820.
maybe they run a proprietary embedded OS on that ? the header of the .bin
has a string "estfbinr" which seems to be "EST flat binary file format" (two
hits on google groups pointing to comp.os.vxworks)

btw: is there a program which can analyze a binary in depht and tell me, what
kind of code (platform, maybe even programming language) is inside?
i know unix "file" but does "file" do a comprehensive analysis of the whole file?
i think you need a lot of hacker experience to distinguish between "data" "code"
"scrambled shit" inside a file when just using a hex editor. is there such a
"reverse engineer`s best friend" ?

> Microcontroller: Motorola MCF5249, with a ColdFire CPU clocked at 120 MHz.
so this mp3 player probably should be able to run linux!?
(see http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5265530840.html)
pretty powerful device!

> This indeed looks like a device we could have fun some with!
and it makes me probably drop my intention to buy another archos jbr 20(old model)
for future usage.
:)

> (Xclef also makes an 1.8"-disk model called HD-800. Those of you who value size over
>capacity may want to have a look at that.)
my favourite mp3 player now :) WHEN and WHERE available in EUROPE?
btw: their "consumer website entry" seems to be at: http://www.multichannel-labs.com/

> I found some info in a dutch forum:
> http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/811305
can someone translate that to english or make that guys TALK english? most of the dutch people speak
perfect english so i wonder why such geektalk must be done in dutch ;)

regards
roland