Subject: Re: Please explain the UART boot hardware mod to a chimpanzee

Re: Please explain the UART boot hardware mod to a chimpanzee

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:36:30 +0100 (MET)

> Will somebody please explain what's required for the UART boot mod?

I tried in the chat. You may want to search for my old postings, too.
I used to have 2 pictures of such a mod (of my recorder model) in my
webspace, but took it offline a few days ago to make room for that Doom video. Got
only 10 MB from my provider. I also have an FM with such a mod, but no
pictures since I don't have a digicam.

> Please bear in mind that I know nothing about soldering or electronics, so
> please use small simple and unambiguous words. And diagrams or pictures if
> at all possible. (Ok, I have a 15-watt grounded soldering iron. I've used
> it
> to re-attach a couple of wires that came loose in my cheep-o PC
> headphones,
> allowing me to once again here sound from the left ear-piece.)

That is a good basis, a tool you'd need.

> e.g., "Go to RadioShacck, ask for a globizit with a foobitute of
> 2.7 and an amplitude of 6. The globizit will look like a door-knob covered
> with pencil erasers. It should cost less than 10 dollars."

Haha, I enjoyed reading that.

For the Radio Shack, you need a RS232 level converter that converts the
+/-12V levels on the PC side to 0V/3.3V on the Archos side (note the inverter
function). This is something that low-level hackers have in their drawer, but
else a bit difficult to get resp. recognize. Many mobile phone adapters should
have what you need, you just don't know where to cut and tap it.

I'll refine on that, have to leave now.

Jörg