Subject: Re: EAC/Lame

Re: EAC/Lame

From: SteamShip <steamship_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 05:06:43 -0500

Fred, maybe we should talk privately about this. I went back and looked,
and have now spent time reading about why Hydrogen Audio
http://tinyurl.com/353xl is still recommending using 3.90.3 rather than
the more recent versions. I discovered that I am still using that 3.90.3
version, with the command line options of

 --alt-preset extreme %s %d

I was going to upgrade a while ago, but they were very critical of the
changes, saying that they felt that version 3.92 was identical to 3.90.3
but with a newer compiler. They hated ver 3.93 and seem to still be
thrashing out whether to recommend 3.93.1

After all the reading, it is not clear that those later compiles are as
beneficial as the version history would imply. Too bad there is not a site
that gives clear guidelines, compiled versions (I don't want to screw
around with compiling myself--when there are so many that live and breathe
the details of what is best).