Subject: Re: EAC/Lame THE ANSWER !!!

Re: EAC/Lame THE ANSWER !!!

From: Neon John <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:44:44 -0500

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:58:26 -0800, Jon Drukman <jsd_at_cluttered.com> wrote:

>At 11:06 AM 12/21/2003, Brian King wrote:
>>SteamShip wrote:
>>>I may be wrong, but it appears that you are more dedicated to Linux than
>>>you are to having high quality mp3's, so this discussion with you is
>>>misplaced. I started this topic to speak to audiophiles, not Linux-only
>>>computer users who happen to enjoy music as a sideline.
>>
>>Can someone explain to me how the choice of a DAE tool affects the
>>resulting audio quality? I had thought that the DAE tool simply ripped the
>>bits off the CD and onto your hard disk. Different DAE tools may be faster
>>than others, but I don't understand how SQ is affected.
>
>http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/faq.html#play
>
>i think steamship is exaggerating the scope of the problem. with
>reasonably clean cd's and a decent modern cd-rom drive these issues are not
>common.

If you buy CDs to rip that is true. I will not ever buy another new CD (a
political position) so my sources are used record stores and similar sources.
EAC (and presumably Paranoia) is invaluable for this situation.

My local used music store has a "scratch'n'dent" bin where they toss CDs
they've taken on trade that have scratches. Most are cosmetic but some are
serious. They sell these for $0.50. I can take one of these discs, CD-Doctor
it if necessary, stick it in my server PC and EAC chomp on it for as long as
it needs for a perfect rip. Sometimes overnight or more.

That's where this kind of program really shines.

John

---
John De Armond
johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net