Subject: Re: cannot transfer between Recorder and computer

Re: cannot transfer between Recorder and computer

From: Neon John <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:40:26 -0500

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:25:55 +0100, "Georges" <dong10_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>Hi, I'm visiting a friend and I cannot transfer from my Recorder 20 to his
>computer (Windows SE). The usual icon appears in the lower right corner but
>with a cross on it, and the Recorder is not recognized. I uninstalled and
>reinstalled the Archos USB drivers without any results. Any ideas,
>Thanks,
>Jean.

I bet you plugged in the Recorder before installing the drivers. When that
happens, Winders installs a dummy device placeholder. You'll need to delete
that manually. Go into Control panel/device manager or whatever SE calls it.
With the Recorder plugged in, look at either the USB (most likely) or
removable hard drive tree to spot the bogus device. If you plug and unplug
the Recorder, this device will usually come and go from the tree. With the
Recorder plugged in, delete that device. Then immediately shut the machine
down, disconnect the Recorder, reboot and install the driver. THEN connect
the Recorder. Do not disconnect the recorder before shutting down, as that
might trigger Plug'n'Pray to do another dummy.

It's been awhile since I had to do this to 98 so details may be a little off.
But this is the general idea. You should be able to figure it out.
---
John De Armond
johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net
http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/johngd/