Subject: Re: Silence detection

Re: Silence detection

From: Martin Borus <martin_at_borus.de>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 18:39:23 +0100

Am 4 Jan 2004 um 1:05 hat kurzhaarrocker geschrieben:

> >Currently I can only go down to -75db. I'd love to go down as much as
> >possible - because I plan to use the feature to record CDs and when I
> >activate a 2 second pause on my CD player I will get perfect track
> >marks..
>
> I will add a "-inf" entry which really ties the value down to the
> limit. Technically it doesn't make much sense to go lower due to the
> logarithmic scale. Below -75db the db values become ambiguous at the
> given resolution of the volume detection of the hardware.

OK, that makes sense - even on the digital input you should not really
hear anything below that limit.

> >BTW, on the digital input prerecording seems to have problems: When I set
> > "Start for at least" 1 second with 2 seconds prerecording still the
> >first bit of every track is missing. At "Start for at least" 0 second it
> >seems to work and there is no silence before the track (which should stay
> >this way).

As a follow up: I've recorded two CD albums digitally that way
and it seems that the first split second of every track is missing.

> >On my recorder I had to start the first recording manually anyway - it
> >would not start right away.
>
> I programmed that you have to press play to arm the trigger. Unless
> you press play it intentionally doesn't do anything but prerecord. But
> once you have pressed play the trigger should be armed and waiting for the
> threshold. I thought that that is the expected behaviour. Is it confusing?

The confusing part is that the unit displayed "prerecording" right away but
did not start on the first trigger. Maybe that's because I had normal prerecording
activated as well. In my opinion it should only display "prerecording" in trigger mode
when the trigger is active..

> >Activate Split...

> Exactly that 'using the start prerecording' gives me the creeps.
> Without it I consider this feature useless as we for sure would cut
> off the begin of the song. The problem is that we would have to cut
> the track somewhere 'in the past' and use that remainder for the new
> file. I don't really know how to do that. Probably saving the data has to
> be dalayed for that. Don't expect that feature to pop up tomorrow...

> >In the menu I had some more "problems":
> >I went into the menu with the source selection microphone. Within the
> >menu the microphone was on and I could hear the sound over the speakers.
> >It stayed on when I left the menu.
>
> Was that from the recording screen or from the normal menu?

This was the normal "options" menu.

> Once upon a
> time you could toggle between playback and recording in the trigger meny
> by pressing F3. I kicked that out again, because it never really worked
> and was too much trouble. Now the trigger setup doesn't change the
> playback / recording mode. When you lauch the trigger setup screen from
> the recording screen (F3 + down) it is intensional that the source is
> monitored - just like in the recording screen itsef, too. If you launch it
> while playback from the main menu the playback is fed to the meter. This
> way you have the choice wether you want to adjust your trigger settings
> using the live input or some prerecorded mp3s.

OK, I did not know the (F3 + down) bit. I'll give it a try.

I'll keep on testing with the updates and when I think of something else
I'll post it here.

Regards
Martin