Subject: AW: Silence detection

AW: Silence detection

From: perterm <perterm_at_vce.de>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:00:00 +0100

> Von: Andreas Stemmer
> Just one cosmetical correction perhaps: at the moment it's "Off, one,
> repeat", it would be nicer to have "Off, One, Repeat" in order to be
> consistent.

Yes.

> > I tried to visualize the trigger states and
> > thresholds in the peakmeter.
>
> Again, it's understandable if you think about it, but it's not
> self-explaining enough. Would it be possible to visualize the thresholds
> with vertical bars in the peakmeter? The trigger states don't have to be
> displayed in the peakmeter, a simple line of text would be enough
> for that.

Momentarily I have that idea of a traffic light icon. If the trigger is
deactivated it would be crossed out.

> At the moment there's "trigger idle" and "trigger active" which
> was a little
> bit confusing for me at the beginning.
> My suggestion would be "trigger armed" and "triggering" (perhaps with a
> countdown) in an extra line, not in the size-line.

That countdown thing is a good idea.

> Btw: the size of the recorded file is never reset, whereas the
> time is reset
> to 0. This is a little bit confusing.

Ups, never looked at that.

> > Are the values for the minimum trigger time
> > reasonable?
>
> I can't imagine any scenario where I could use the 10min setting or a
> setting which is bigger than the prerecord buffer, but it doesn't hurt..

I think you're right here. I'll increase the resolution < 30s instead.

> if I have a prerecord time of 3s and the minimum
> trigger set to 1s, I expect to get a recording with 2s of silence
> below the threshold.

There are a few things, that I will try.

> The approach I would prefer is: introduce some kind of
> "paranoia"-mode which records all the time and starts a new file
> (frame-accurate) on each split condition.

Probably this pricipially is the same thing that Martin wants. I can
manage the trigger for that. But as the trigger can (and should) define
a minimum duration of the threshold the split has to happen 'in the past'.
That's a bit difficult for me. But I'm sure with some help of Linus these
difficulties can be overcome, too.

> If I want to record a live set of our band, I don't have time to
> monitor the levels all the time.

Which makes me realize that it isn't possible to change the trigger settings
while recording at all yet. Another thing to do :)

> While writing this, I had another idea of a completely different approach:
> Why not simply record all the time and create a cue-file in parallel
> according to the trigger thresholds? Splitting or cutting can then be done
> afterwards without danger...

A good idea. It could be applied even while playing back!

> I can live without the "trigger once" mode and don't see any use
> for it in case you are thinking about leaving it out...

What about modes like "Off", "Stop & Go" and "Split" then?

> I hope this helps a bit,

You and Martin are really great help that I appreciate that very much!
Thank you.

Yesterday I used the triggered recording for the first time while band
practice. It worked flawlessly - until the batteries were drained after
3 songs. :(

Phil