Subject: Re: F2 Configuration

Re: F2 Configuration

From: c0utta fish <c0utta_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:35:57 +1030

Björn,

Thanks for your feedback. I agree that configurable quickscreens should not
just be shortcuts to menu entries either. I plan to make all sorts of
things configurable - starting plugins, running config/wps files, specific
settings (such as setting backlight to 10 seconds, setting volume to 65%
etc) as well as shortcuts to menus.

Unfortunately, I believe "everything" is reasonable for F2 screens. There
will always be one crazy person who wants specific control over the peak
meter maximum setting - why should this guy be excluded ? If we don't do
this then we have an unsatisfied user community and a plethora of patches
allowing for settings that we decided were unimportant to us.

My experience with devices with limited user entry is that you should always
aim for unlimited configurability. If designed correctly, unlimited
configurability is completely transparent to the novice user, but allows the
"power user" to squeeze as much as possible out of the software. You may be
interested to know that I'd class myself as a novice user - I purely use
Rockbox to play MP3's. But, as a novice I still want to be able to have
complete control over my Rockbox settings. If I can't easily set "Follow
Playlist" then I'm unsatisfied.

All I can say is trust me! Let me produce my first working prototype in
about 4 weeks and I'll then spend some time on IRC convincing you that I'm
doing the right thing. Just to whet everyone's appetite, I already have
Rockbox reading the F2 menu out of \.rockbox\f2.map and being able to
execute settings. At last, my dream of being able to easily set "Follow
Playlist" has been realised!

Cheers,

c0utta